Adelaide Laetitia Miethke born 8 June 1881 Manoora to school
teacher, Carl Rudolph Alexander Miethke and Emma Caroline (Louisa),
nee Schultze. She was educated at country schools and Woodville
Public School and became a pupil-teacher in 1899 before
attending 1903-04 the University Training College. She was
appointed to Lefevre Peninsula School. In 1915 she had taught
at the Woodville High School and from 1920 was a senior
mistress. In 1916 she became the vice-president of the South
Australian Public School Teachers' Union.
During World War 1, Miethke organised the South Australian
Children's Patriotic Fund.
Adelaide Miethke promoted the view that girls should have
a chance to develop to their fullest.The Director of Education
took on her cause by recognizing the contributions of women
teachers by initiating the placement of women as headmistresses.
He appointed appointed Miethke as an inspector of schools
In 1936 Adelaide Miethke was president of the Women's Centenary
Council of South Australia that raised £5000 to establish
the Alice Springs base of the Australian Aerial Medical
Service (later Royal Flying Doctor Service) as a memorial
to pioneer women,and built the Pioneer Women's Memorial
garden in Adelaide. Her efforts saw her awarded the OBE.
During World War 2 she mobilised schoolchildren into fund-raising
and scrap-collecting as the Schools Patriotic Fund of South
Australia raising £402,133. Surplus funds were used to purchase
a hostel, Adelaide Miethke House (opened 1951), for country
girls studying in Adelaide. Adelaide devised and set up
the world's first School of the Air at Alice Springs Higher
Primary School in 1950, using individual, pedal-wireless
sets on remote homesteads to link the children.
Adelaide Laetitia Miethke never married, dying at her Woodville
home on 4 February 1962 and was buried in Cheltenham cemetery.